It’s upsetting when the other side of the line cannot hear you well. You get the same question bugging you every time, “Why can’t I be heard on my laptop?” “Is my computer damaged?” Don’t worry, it’s possible to resolve this by yourself. Check out our troubleshooting suggestions.
The main reason why you can’t be heard is that laptop microphones fail due to software and hardware problems. A quick fix is to go to Settings and check your system.
>>>Are you looking for noise-canceling headphones? Look, we found 9 of the best headphones for teachers.
Attention: Try these online microphones. Click here.
Why Can’t I Be Heard On My Laptop?
1) Check Your Microphone Settings
The issue may be an incorrect configuration.
The microphone may have been muted in the sound setting. Chances are, you have mistakenly muted the volume. When there is no audio input captured from your microphone, no one can hear you.
- Click the speaker button and unmute.
- Try dragging the volume slider to increase it.
- Check if your external speakers are switched on and turned up.
- If your headset has a Mute Button, ensure that it isn’t on.
Make Sure That The Microphone Is Turned On.
One common reason why your mic isn’t working is that it is turned off. To properly enable it:
- Go to Settings and choose Recording Devices.
- Click Recording and select Enable.
- See to it that your microphone is activated.
2) Try Using Headphones
Try using speakers or connecting in a set of headphones. If the other person can now hear you, that means your laptop’s built-in speakers may have hardware problems.
3) Adjust Your Audio Settings
Every time your microphone is plugged in, Windows should automatically recognize it and configure it as the default playback device. However, there are times you may need to manually establish default devices and sound power levels.
- Go to Menu and select Apps & More > Settings > Sound.
- Proceed to the setting you want to change, and then press OK.
- Once the list of options shows up, look and select the desired option
- Then set it by pressing OK.
4) Disable Sound Enhancements
Audio enhancements are designed to boost audio performance. However, there are times this feature also brings issues to your audio and sound. If your problem is that you have no audio, go ahead and disable audio enhancements.
- In the right-bottom toolbar, right-click on the volume symbol.
- Select Sounds.
- In the Playback tab, click the device you are using.
- Click Properties.
- In the Enhancements tab, tap Disable all sound effects.
- Click Apply > OK.
5) Update Your Audio Driver
It’s possible that your driver is failing because it’s out of date. As a result, you’ll want to keep your audio driver or sound card drivers up to date. Performing a system update on your computer is usually enough to get your computer drivers and security patches to the most recent versions.
Driver Easy can help you save time by providing the most exact driver for your system. You don’t have to worry about how to accomplish it because Driver Easy takes care of it for you.
You can try updating audio drivers using Windows Update and get your operating system in sync:
- Go to the Start Menu.
- Click Control Panel.
- Choose System and Security.
- Click Windows Update.
- Select the Check for Updates link.
- In the result, find the audio drivers in the Optional Updates category.
- Or in the Main View
- Now click Install.
6) Check the Microphone Driver
The microphone driver tells your hardware how to function properly by communicating with your computer’s operating system. Since you’re having issues with audio, it’s possible that your microphone has gone defective owing to a flaw or old age, or that there’s a problem with the internal wiring.
It is necessary to use microphone drivers for the computer to perform properly. As a matter of fact, updating your drivers has a decent chance of resolving your audio issues. You can try uninstalling drivers and letting Windows reinstall them automatically, or if you can do it manually, the better.
- Search for Device Manager.
- Go to Audio Inputs and Outputs.
- Left-click on the Recording Device.
- Wait for a Menu to open.
- Once open, click “Uninstall.”
- Now disconnect your microphone from the computer.
- Restart the computer.
Fortunately, there are always ways that can solve why the other person can’t hear or is having issues hearing you. Use the guide above to get it back up and running.
Watch this video and improve the quality of your microphone performance.
So now that you know some basic fixes for a not functioning internal microphone, the next thing to do is to make sure you select the correct microphone under your Windows Sound settings. This gives an assurance that your system is capturing audio from the correct place. If all of the above seems not working, it’s time to seek a computer technician.
Here is a list of tips for fixing sound problems in Windows 10. Start with the first one. If it doesn’t help, proceed to the next one.
Do you have other tips that could teach us all about laptop microphone issues? We appreciate it if you can share them with us in the comments.